6.01.2013

Animal Kingdom-Disney Day 3

Right after our safari breakfast, our plan was to go on the Kilamanjaro Safari Tour. In my research, I read that it is best to ride that early. The line gets long later and the animals are most active during the day.  Conveniently, Tusker House is located literally steps from the ride.

So, as our group was getting ready to go get in line, I decided to run back to the stroller parked just around the corner to put a few things away. I started walking back and realized I forgot to put something back in the stroller. I turned and momentarily thought I might actually be in the Lion King! Apparently, everyone who had just entered the main gate was racing to get to the safari ride first. I quickly decided I didn't need to go to the stroller. I turned back to the group to be sure the boys weren't wandering...I really didn't want one of them trampled by the stampeding masses! Anyhow, we quickly moved towards the ride and escaped any real danger. We made it to the queue, but Garytt looks like he is resisting and Justin looks less than impressed.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

We did make it onto one of the first few safari rides.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The safari tram had pictures of all the animals you might see on the trip. I took a picture to use as reference later but it's blurry, so probably not that helpful.


The safari ride was definitely neat. We saw lots of animals and they were mostly active.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

One thing that was kind of interesting was this huge termite mound. They said it was as strong as concrete. It was very impressive.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

When we came around to the elephant habitat, we got a little surprise. They have a baby elephant! So cute!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

We could barely see the lioness hanging out on top of these rocks.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

They also pointed out the wart hog...nice to see ya Pumba!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The guide pointed out these eggs, which were apparently a big deal. I think she said they were ostrich eggs.


It's hard to see with the shadow, but Westyn didn't make it through the whole safari. I guess breakfast wore him out!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

After we exited the safari ride, we saw a bongo player. They had two extra drums there and one was the perfect size for Garytt. So, he jumped in there to play!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Next, we headed towards the Camp Minnie Mickey area to see the Lion King show. On the way we saw some fun cut-outs.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I didn't realize that the Camp Minne Mickey area opened later than the rest of the park. So, we ended up getting there just a few minutes before that area was open.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Once they opened it up, we headed for the Festival of the Lion King, which was pretty much the only thing in this area other than the meet and greet stations. I think they have Mickey, Minnie, Chip 'n Dale, and a few others there. We didn't really check it out since we had already seen most of them at breakfast. However, I will say, if you need a meet and greet location, this is a totally shady spot to wait!


The Lion King venue was basically a big round arena with stadium style seating. We chose a seat across from the main entrance and fairly close to the front. We were there early because I knew it was a popular show. As it turned out, we could have walked up and gotten a fine seat just moments before the show started but who knew?

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Well, since we were so early, and the boys were already pretty worn out, we had our worst (and really only major) toddler meltdown. Garytt was playing with a park map and getting frustrated with it not folding up properly. Despite trying to help him, he was still getting upset. He wanted to do it himself! So, here we go...COMPLETE MELTDOWN! We tried to distract him, Justin took him to the side to talk to him about the show starting and seeing Simba, and even a lady from a row behind us had some Lion King safety cards that she let him have. Nothing worked. Finally, a cast member came over to us to re-seat us closer to an exit. Justin did end up having to take him outside...just moments before the show started. They were allowed back in once he was able to calm down and he did get to enjoy the show! I was thankful because this was by far the best show we saw in any of the parks! It was pretty low lighting, so the pictures aren't the best (yet again) but this was an awesome show!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug   Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

This show had it all...lots of action, crowd involvement, and (of course) our favorite characters from the Lion King! But, as evident by Garytt's breakdown, it was definitely time for our break to rest at the condo!

Again, Justin stayed behind to ride the big rides. And he was planning to scope out a spot for us to sit and watch the parade later that afternoon. He rode Everest and Primeval Whirl.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Then he found us a great spot to watch the jungle parade!

No comments: