8.31.2011

Garytt's First Dental Appointment

Apparently we are a little behind on scheduling Garytt's first dental appointment. This is mostly due to a misunderstanding between us and our family dentist. At our last dental appointment, both Justin and I asked when we should bring him in for his first check-up. The response was that they don't usually see kids until about 3 years old. So, we didn't think much more about it. However, I was reading some articles this week and discovered that we should have taken him to a pediatric dentist 6 months after his first tooth errupted or by his first birthday. Oops!

Seeing how Garytt is already 17 months old, I called to schedule an appointment with a pediatric dentist right away. I actually assumed that we would have to wait until after our upcoming trip to get him in but they had an opening yesterday afternoon. Yay!

We did have to wait in the waiting room a little while. But Garytt didn't seem to mind because they had some fun activities to keep him busy.


Busy coloring...and looking at a magazine about blood...he was quite fascinated with that...maybe he'll be a scientist like his mom!



Playing with the wheel on the wall...that only entertained him for a few minutes.



Picking books out...but not to read...he just wanted to hand them all to me...silly boy.


Finally, it was time to go back to see the dentist. I really wasn't sure how this part would go, but he did a super job! I have some pictures of him sitting in the chair. Then I had to help hold him during the exam, so there are no pictures of the actual exam, which mainly consisted of counting his teeth.


Sitting in the dentist chair for the first time! Big boy!



He was very interested in the mouse.



Garytt having a little chat with the hygienist.


When the exam was over, he received a report card with a smiley face on it. So, I guess that really means that Mom and Dad are doing an ok job of brushing his teeth. I did get a few pointers to make it easier, so we'll have to try those out and see if it helps. He also received an Elmo sticker, a new toothbrush, and a bag to carry his toothbrush in. He was pretty excited about his "goodies."


Heading to the car with his bag of "goodies"



Showing off his Elmo sticker after a successful first trip to the dentist


I really couldn't have asked for a smoother first trip to the dentist. There was no crying (well except on the way out when we had to pass by the waiting room and he really wanted to go play some more) and his check-up went well. We will go back in 6 months and hope for a very similar experience!

No comments: