The rest of us went out to EAA around 9 am that morning. I really wanted to go see the EAA Museum since that entrance fee was included in the ticket prices for that week. Shira and W.D. had already seen the museum, so they went on out to the air field.
I was very excited to see the museum until we realized that, yet again, we forgot our camera...I need to start bringing the small camera with me at all times, just in case. We did take a few pictures on my cell phone, but they are cell phone quality...bummer.
Garytt loved playing with all the controls in the cockpit!
There was a little discovery section in the museum for kids. A lot of the stations didn't seem to be working at the time...probably over use during that week. But Garytt really loved playing with his shadow at this station...I'm not actually sure what it was supposed to represent, but he liked it.
Just behind the EAA museum, was the KidsVenture area of the event. So, we thought we would go check that out. Unfortunatley, Garytt really needed to be a bit older. They had activities like coloring a T-shirt, riding the pedal cars that were airplanes, and for the older kids they had flight simulators and instructors to quiz the kids on what they learned. It was actually a really neat area, and we will have to go back when he is a little older.
Right outside the KidsVenture area, there was an old cargo plane they had open. So, Justin took Garytt inside to check it out. Again, he loved the buttons in the cockpit but I didn't get a picture of that part.
Going in
Walking up the incline
Coming out
After that, we decided to go home and get a bite to eat and let Garytt take a little nap before the afternoon airshow. It was a nice little break.
On our way back into the airshow for the last time
We met up with W.D. and Shira. Almost all the homemade planes were gone and the field next to the runway was nearly empty. So, there wasn't a lot of shade around anymore. But we found a spot under a tree and waited for the show to start. Garytt is really not so much about waiting. So, Shira and I took turns walking him around the field...ok, so I'm a totally overprotective mother and I insisted on someone holding his hand the entire time.
Shira and Garytt
Jen and Garytt
All of us in front one of the last homemade planes in the field
Other than that, we gave him a snack and let him play with sticks while we waited. For the most part that entertained him.
Snack and drink time
Garytt loves sticks
I don't know if it was because we had been out there several times that week and Garytt was finally understood that he is supposed to watch the planes or if the noise that these planes made just caught his attention more, but he actually really enjoyed most of this airshow and paid attention.
Yikes!
Ok, so I said he liked MOST of this airshow...that was until they brought in a military plane that is apparently not designed to be able to hover but that it exactly what they were going to do. The first attempt failed because the pilot indicated something was wrong. So, they tried again later in the show and it worked. Ok, so it was cool but it lasted WAY too long for poor Garytt. It was so loud that we had to cover his ears and between being held in place and the noise, he was not happy! It took both of us to contain him, so we didn't get a picture of the breakdown. But here is the culprit.
After that incident, we tried to take pictures of the family but Garytt wasn't too interested in looking at the camera.
Four generations of Browns
The EAA Fly-In was fun. They say that during the week of the Fly-In, the EAA runway in Oshkosh is the busiest runway in the world.
Now, prior to going to this event, I thought that there was no way that was a true statement. Well, I believe it after seeing that pretty much all week long it is just one plane after another taking off from this runway. It is really amazing.
So, if anyone is interested in staying at the Brown B&B for next year's EAA Fly-In, let us know! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment