3.15.2012

Here Come the Terrible Twos

Yesterday was not one of the better days in the Brown household. I had hoped by some magic that maybe, just maybe we would escape the phenomenon known as "the terrible twos." (Ok, I knew it would come some day, and Garytt is just weeks away from being two, but it didn't make yesterday any easier to deal with.)

Garytt spent more of the day in time-out than he has in a long time. He was just pushing the limit any way he could, including hitting and throwing things. I have to say, I expected this type of behavior when we were couped up in the house all winter, not the moment the weather turned nice and we can play outside again.

Anyhow, I digress. After a long day of time-out and tears, it was time to cook dinner before Justin got home. Normally, Garytt is really good about just playing in the kitchen or wandering around the main floor. Well, yesterday, he decided he needed to go upstairs several times by himself (which he is not allowed to do). So, I got tired of fighting that battle and closed him into the family room while I finished dinner.

I would come around the corner and check on him every few minutes. One time I checked on him to find that he had climbed all the way into his toy box and was just sitting in there checking out the toys. I quickly ran to get the camera. The the time I came back he had started to climb out but then quickly decided to get back in.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Starting to climb out



He realizes he was caught and decides to climb back in.



Back inside


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
I think he is wondering if he is about to get in trouble yet again



Check out the pile of toys he emptied onto the floor.


The toy box entertained Garytt until Justin got home and I was able to finish dinner. When Justin walked in, he was quite surprised to find Garytt inside the toy box. He wondered if I knew about it...I told him that I was fine with Garytt playing in there...he wasn't hitting me, the dog, or his brother...he wasn't throwing anything around the room, or at me, the dog, or his brother...he wasn't screaming or crying...he was quietly playing and happy...I did not care that he was in the toy box.

I am hopeful that my happy, obedient toddler is back today...

3 comments:

Mimi said...

LOL!!!! I know you don't think it is funny, but just reading about it is.
Love, Mimi

Mimi said...

I do know how to type our computers at work keep adding letters and symbols to the post. Sorry!!

Sarah said...

Cameron went through the same thing after Trevor was born. I think part of the acting out is him fighting for attention (since he is used to having you all to himself). Cameron tested my patience MANY times, but thankfully it will pass before you know it, and then he and Westyn will become best friends, and you'll have a lot of "free" time to get things done around the house. Now Trevor is in the terrible twos, but it doesn't seem as bad, probably because he doesn't feel a need to fight for attention since he has always had to share it. Hang in there!