Oddly, for it being such a simple project, it was one that continuously got pushed to the back burner. We would do a little with them here and there...meaning one weekend we decided oh lets actually put them together. Then one weekend we would decide to go buy the spray paint. Yeah, this easy project was spread over months...kind of silly really. Anyhow, a few weeks ago we finally put them up!
Over a year ago, I came across these fun Dr. Suess posters at Half Price Books (yeah the one in Wisconsin...seeing as we don't have one of those in Columbia). I think they are for a classroom setting because one of them is a times table chart (we didn't use that one since it doesn't have any Suess characters on it).
Originally, I thought I would just hang them as posters. Then, I decided they would be more fun on canvas. However, the canvas wasn't really the same size as the posters. So, we cut apart the images and used Mod Podge to attach them to the canvas that we had already painted. Ok, so I have seen this technique done on Pinterest a lot. So, I assumed it would be relatively simple. Well...it was a learning process. One thing that may have made it a little more difficult is that rather than use real Mod Podge I used homemade Mod Podge (also a Pinterest thing). Having used real Mod Podge before on projects, I was concerned when the homemade stuff was so thin.
The first one we did caused some warping of the images and we hadn't yet figured out a way to keep constant pressure on the image in order to help prevent bubbles and warping. I was so unhappy with the first attempt, I really wanted to pull off the images and start again...yeah, you can't do that!! So, we decided to press on and see if we could improve our technique. This time we used paint cans on the canvas to maintain pressure.
That actually worked fairly well. The rest of them turned out alright. The homemade Mod Podge was so thin though that it was hard to get a good sealant coat on top. And I am still really unhappy with the first one we did. But overall, I have to remember this is for a kids Dr. Suess room. It won't be Dr. Suess forever and they won't see the imperfections in the project. So, here they are. (Of course, Justin wanted to hang them on random angles to fit with the fun theme of the room.)
You can also see in the last picture that The Cat in the Hat has finally come back out to join the decor.
I still have some more ideas for this room. And we need some decor above Garytt's bed. But I am happy with the way it is shaping up.
At the end of June I worked on a sewing project for the boys. Ok, well, I worked on a sewing project because I need LOTS of practice but I chose a project that would be fun for the boys. I wanted to make them some art smocks. Garytt has always been pretty neat when it comes to art projects like painting and such. Westyn, however, it totally different. So, I thought these smocks would be fun for them and good for their clothes.
Recently, we finally got them out for the boys to use during art time. They were pretty excited about their monster smocks!
I think they are a success!
1 comment:
is Garytt gluing the table?
Post a Comment