4.22.2013

Boys Bedroom Updates

Recently, I finally got around to adding some decorative touches to Westyn's room. I finally added the dots and animals to the green stripe in his room! Being that this is the third (and final) time I have decorated a nursery with this theme, I finally have it down to a near science.

So, the first time we decorated the nursery, we were living in Basehor, and we spent a good amount of time hand painting circles on the wall...it required lots of coats and and a hair dryer to speed up the process. The results were good but the process took forever!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
We did end up adding an animal to each dot but I can't seem to find a picture of that. (I have grown in blogging and picture organization since the beginning.)

Anyhow, the second time we decorated the nursery we were in Oshkosh. We had a lot of work to acutally prepare the walls as they originally had wall paper on it...yuck! This time I found some stickers in the shape of dots. They weren't really the size I wanted and they were varying sizes, which I didn't love...but they were easy to put up and we could just super glue the wooden animals on them without fear of ruining the walls.  (While I wasn't in love with the results of the dots, I did love this room!)

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
This time, I think I finally found a simple solution that gives the results I like...third times a charm, right? I ordered some vinyl online and used my Cricut machine to cut out the cirlces. Justin was a bit skeptical about this vinyl sensation...but this project even made a believer out of him! It took longer to cut out all the circles than it did to actually put them up on the wall...and they look great!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
We added the wooden animals...Garytt even helped choose the location of them!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
I have to say, I love the results and I regret it has taken me this long to get them up! I think it adds a lot to the room.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
Just a couple days later, we upgraded Garytt from a toddler bed to a twin size bed. I have to brag a litte about this purchase...I found a Groupon for $200 worth of mattresses for $50. The mattress cost $209, so I got it for $59! That is better than the cost of a basic Wal-Mart mattress and it's a much nicer mattress! Ok, just had to share.

We decided to go without a box spring and try the newer steel platform for the mattress. One reason I like it is that it allows for more under bed storage than a traditional metal frame and box spring. I also bought a basic headboard. It was really challenging to find a white headboard for this room, which is was a really wanted to go with the Dr. Suess theme. So, I found one online that wasn't very expensive, so when he grows out of the Dr. Suess theme, I won't feel bad about painting it or getting rid of it all together. Justin had a great time putting it together...ha!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
Once we bed was all put together, it was time for sheets and the quilt that Grandma made. Garytt was pretty excited about his new bed!  (And I'm excited to finally get to display the quilt that the room theme was designed around!)

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
I'm not sure what was said here, but Garytt looks guilty.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
Finally, it was time to get him tucked in for the night. He needed to sleep with his Cat in the Hat (in fact, he has ever since moving into this bed), so we tucked them both into bed.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
Since it took longer than expected to put the bed together (isn't that how it always goes?!), I didn't have time to decide where I really wanted the bed, and I have since rearranged the furniture. I will have to post an update later.

I have to say that I am happy with how both the rooms are coming together!

No comments: