I have posted about The Little Gym in Wisconsin several times. (
Here,
here, and
here are a few links to jog your memory.)
Well, Columbia has The Little Gym as well. So, we signed Garytt up for gym classes this past semester. I didn't take any pictures throughout the semester, mostly because it didn't occur to me since it has become part of our weekly routine.
However, Wed., January 9 was the "Show Week" class where the kids show off all their skills they learned that semester. Then they hold a little ribbon ceremony at the end of class.
Now, Garytt is still in a parent/child class, so I go to class with him every week. So, "Show Week" doesn't really change much for the parent/child classes, but it's still fun for them to get a ribbon. Here is Garytt on the award stage with his ribbon.
After he received his ribbon, he sat on the red mat again while the remaining ribbons were awarded...he was pretty impressed with his ribbon. In fact, he was so excited about his ribbon that he carried it everywhere for several days! He wouldn't nap or go to sleep without it in his bed!
After the all the ribbons were awarded, they tried to take a group shot of the whole class...yeah, that's a challenge with a class consisting of all 19 month olds-3 year olds. Garytt sat there the whole time though because he was so amazed by his ribbon.
So, I have to say my photography this day wasn't all that great...partially because I was trying to wrangle Westyn at the same time. Usually Westyn goes over to spend some time with a friend during Garytt's class (which is a huge blessing!). Unfortunately, she was sick with the stomach flu that day, so Westyn joined us for class. Westyn has been in class with us a few times over the semester for various reason and he used to just sit quietly and play in his stroller...well, he's done a lot of growing this semester and he is no longer so easily amused...now he wants to join in on the big kid fun! So, I allowed him to crawl around a little bit during Garytt's class...soon it will be time to enroll Westyn in classes!
I have to say that I was happy to find out that The Little Gym has a location here in Columbia! I think it has been a great program for Garytt to learn not only gymnastic skills but how to listen to a teacher, work in groups, and take turns. I think it is especially important for him since he isn't in a daycare environment. I am so proud of his progression this semester particularly with listening to the teacher and following directions...it's still hard for him sometimes but he is so much better now than at the beginning of the semester!
No comments:
Post a Comment