Friday, January 11 I took the boys to the dentist. We arrived a few minutes late because I got lost in the sea of medical buildings. The good thing about that was there wasn't a lot of waiting time for the boys...but they did check out the toys in the waiting area nonetheless.
As I said, we were quickly called back to the exam room. I have to say this dental office (which is a pediatric only dental office) is set up really well. They have some chairs out in a big room but then they have several private exam rooms for the younger kids so they doesn't get too overwhelmed (and probably to be able to shut the door if there are too many tears).
Garytt has been to the dentist several times, so I wasn't too worried about him getting upset about the whole process. But it is a new location, and you just never know. He did really well, even if he looked unsure a few times.
They are able to get the kids to crane their necks so far back during the teeth brushing because they have a tv with cartoons on the ceiling...genius!
After the hygenist was done brushing his teeth, we had to wait for the dentist to come in. Garytt was a little silly during our wait...and, yes, that is a teapot in his hand. (They had a small basket of toys in the room...some cars, some tea party supplies...Garytt was hooked on the teapot...it's a novelty.)
Westyn also enjoyed the basket of toys during our down time in the exam room...as well as trying to climb all over the exam chair.
Eventually Westyn was a bit too energenetic and I picked him up for the remainder of our wait...so I attempted a self-portrait.
When the dentist came in, she checked Garytt's teeth first. She indicated that his teeth look good and we are brushing them well. Yay! His front teeth are tight though, so we have to start flossing with him as well as brushing. I didn't get a picture of Garytt during the exam but here's his A+ smile!
Next it was time for Westyn's first dental exam! Of course, it really wasn't much of an exam because he still has no teeth! But I did ask her to look at his mouth to see when she thought we might see teeth. She examined his gums and said there are definitely teeth forming but it will be a while before we see any teeth erupt. He put up with the exam really well but he didn't look too sure about it.
Then, just for fun, he got to put on the cool exam shades.
The best part about visiting the dentist is that they give the patients tokens for the toy tower located near the lobby. Westyn is pretty much too young for any of the toys available from the toy tower, so just Garytt got the tokens. We headed out there to see what kind of prize he wanted.
The bouncy balls caught his eye (ok, maybe I encouraged it a little because it was one of the only options that wasn't a complete chocking hazard for WD). I showed him how to put his token in and turn the knob. He was pretty excited about it! In fact, he did have two tokens and I let him look around to see if he wanted something different the second time, but we ended up with two bouncy balls!
A winning smile and a bouncy ball!
Garytt couldn't wait to try out his bouncy ball as soon as we got home. He bounced it around a few times and then decided to bounce with the ball. I thought it was so funny that I grabbed the camera to take a quick video.
It was a successful day at the dentist office. I really liked this dentist, who came recommended to us by a friend. And I especially like taking the boys to a pediatric only dental office. Both the one we used in Wisconsin and this one have been great. I like that the staff is so patient with the little ones and they make the whole experience positive.
Maybe when we go back for the six month check-up Westyn will actually have teeth!
No comments:
Post a Comment