1.19.2013

A Few Home Updates

Although decorating our new house is going extremely slow...much slower than I anticipated, I wanted to post a few updates that we have done recently.

I started working on the concept for the play room in our basement in December. I just couldn't stand that the small room had no storage and no design. The previous owners basically just used the room as a walk-in closet for toys...I wanted it to be a space that was fun for the boys to actually play in! This is what we started with...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
I decided that a car themed room would be fun since the boys have so many cars and trains. I found some inspiration on a website that wanted to charge nearly $300 for a "kit" for a car themed room. Ok, so the kit showed you what colors to paint the walls and had a few decals...really?

So, I started by painting the most of the walls bright green...yes, very bright green. We actually had the green leftover from the dresser makeover in Garytt's bedroom. I'm pretty sure that Justin was worried about the color, but I have to say I love it!
 
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
Once the green was painted, I was eager to set up the storage units I ordered for this space. I am so much happier with the toys all put in their cubes.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
On a side note, the playroom doesn't always look so tidy, of course, but we do really try to encourage the boys to help pick up the toys after they use them. Even Westyn has been helping lately. These are a few videos of the boys picking up toys in Garytt's room a few weeks ago.

 
Anyhow, next it was time to work on the focal wall. Again, I used some of the blue paint mixed with some of the white paint from Garytt's dresser (do you see how cheap I am?) to make the sky. Finally, it was time to add the road (and yes, I did have to buy the gray paint).
 
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
Ok, so I really love how the paint turned out! I still have to put some pictures on the walls, add cars to the road, an airplane to the sky, and some cushions to the lower cubicals to make them into reading benches but I can see it coming together! I will definitely post more pictures when it is complete.

Another room that I just haven't worked on much, even though I really should, is Garytt's room. We painted the room as soon as we moved in and then just stopped. I hadn't even put up curtains until a couple of weeks ago!

So, I wanted to to use the same Dr. Seuss curtains I made for Garytt's room in Wisconsin. However, his room had a small winow and a large window in Wisconsin. Here he has two small windows. So I cut the larger curtain down to match the smaller one. Yeah that was super simple.

The part I wasn't so sure about was changing the existing roman shades. I really hated to completely trash the existing shades because they are from Restoration Hardware...yeah much nicer than my mini blind shades in Wisconsin! But the colors really, really don't match the room.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
So, I decided to take them down and sew the polka dot fabric on top and see if it looked ok. It was a bit tricky but totally worth the effort! They turned out well and I like the heavy weight of these shades. (Plus they totally block out the light...a total bonus during naps!)

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
While I was busy working, the boys were playing in Garytt's room.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
 
And Garytt's was learning to wink...only he looks worried, mad or intense...then he finally held down one eye! It was really pretty funny!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Hopefully we will move forward on a few more projects in the coming weeks!

No comments: