1.12.2012

Show Week at The Little Gym

Wednesday mornings Garytt has class at The Little Gym in Appleton. He has really enjoyed these classes and I have enjoyed letting him climb all over things in a controlled environment.

This week is Show Week at The Little Gym. For the older classes that means that the parents get to be inside the gym with the kids to watch what they have learned that semester. Since Garytt is still in a parent/child class we were told it wouldn't really be any different than the other classes we've had all semester. That wasn't totally true because there was an awards ceremony at the end. Apparently, most of the other parents got the memo and brought cameras. I happened to throw our Flip Video camera in my bag that day but I didn't have a still camera with me. Bummer!

I did take a few short videos throughout the class and a video of Garytt getting his medal and certificate. He's such a cutie!

For some reason, all the kids seemed super interested in swinging on the bars this week. Garytt started doing it almost immediately upon entering the gym. He didn't even want to join the class for his warm-up.

In the first video, somehow the mat had gotten moved (probably for a taller kid) and Garytt thought he could reach the bar...oops. In the second video, I had moved the mat closer so that he could reach the bar on his own...that went a lot better.





Then a friend joined him on the bar. He's totally watching her and not paying attention to what he is doing.



He went over to a smaller bar for a while as well.



He did play on some other equipment during the class such as the balance beam. Unfortunately, I can't get a video while he is on the balance beam because I have to spot him but he is getting pretty brave and wants me to let go more than he used to. He also enjoys climbing up mats and crawling through the tunnels and such they have set up.



Recently, he has been really into jumping. Even around the house we can ask him to jump like a kangaroo or jump like a frog and he just loves it. So, there was a mat that had different colors and he just started jumping from one color to the other trying to avoid the cracks. I only got the tail end of it on video.



During each class, the kids get to play with bouncy balls. We do activities to encourage toss and catch or kicking.





After they put all the balls away, it is time for bubbles. Garytt loves the bubble time and is usually fairly active but yesterday he just sat down on the mat and popped all the ones on the floor. It was unusual for him but he seemed content to do that while all the kids were running around him.





After bubbles, they set up the stage for the awards ceremony. I took a video of him getting his award. The little boy that tries to get up there with him is his buddy Evan. Those two tend to be trouble together...boys will be boys.



I also manage to capture a few still pictures from the video. They aren't great resolution but at least they are pictures.


Getting his medal



Showing off his medal and certificate


Garytt has one more class next week before the semester is over. We have decided to not continue next semester because it will be a bit complicated with a newborn to make it to class. We will reconsider once we are in a routine.

No comments: