The splash pad park
He was pretty unsure about the whole thing and didn't really want to touch the water at first.
Staying a safe distance from the water...but looking interested
Moving a little closer to the water
Garytt was quite perceptive and noticed that there was a difference between the concrete where the water could reach and the concrete beyond the splash zone. So, he would often run out of the splash zone and stand just on the dividing line between the two types of concrete on survery the situation again.
Garytt in the safety zone
Finally, he seemed to be warming up to the idea of actually touching the water.
Most of the time he just liked to walk around in the middle but out of the water and watch the fountains. He also seemed to like to stomp his feet in the small puddles and splash the water.
Surveying the area
Stomping in a very small puddle
Unfortunately, Isaiah didn't seem to be enjoying the splash pad that day. (He ended up coming down with a little something and went to the doctor the next day, but at the time we just thought he didn't want to be there.) So, Jenn and Isaiah mostly stayed on the sidelines. A few times Garytt seemed to want to get them involved.
Garytt showing Isaiah that the water is fun
At one point, I decided to go sit down for a bit and just watch Garytt explore. I took a short video of him walking around in the water.
Ok, so, if you have the sound on, you could hear Jenn and me laughing and just waiting for him to get unexpectedly sprayed with water. I feel a little bad that we were just waiting for it to happen, and I was really shocked at how long that fountain stayed off. In the end, it was probably better that he didn't get soaked by it because it might have been too traumatic.
As it was, only a few minutes later, I walked with him over to the other part of the splash park. He was happily wandering around over there and I went to get the camera. When I turned around, he was caught in the water. At first, I thought he was enjoying it...then came the tears.
Frozen in the spray but not too unhappy...probably still in shock
Now I'm mad!
Obviously, I clicked a quick picture and went over to rescue him from the scary water. He was upset for a minute but did go back out and play again, so I guess the damage wasn't too severe.
It was definitely worth the trip over to the splash pad, which was actually part of a really nice park only a few miles from Jenn's house. If we lived there, I could totally see hanging out at that park often! I was bummed that Isaiah didn't seem to have that much fun but he was a good sport and just watched in the shade.
No comments:
Post a Comment