12.05.2011

Goodbye Carpet

When we got back from our trip to Galena, all the home projects were staring us in the face. Not to mention that we still needed to decorate for Christmas! Yikes!

We have been working on the mudding the drywall in Garytt's new room on and off all week. It's still not quite done and really, it's not a fun project. In fact, I haven't even taken any pictures of that process. We hope to have it finished up this week and start priming the walls.

One reason we didn't totally finish the mudding project is that we decided it was time to get rid of the horrible, ugly carpet in the living and dining rooms. This decision was partially made because it seemed silly to set up the Christmas tree in a room that we were planning to tear apart. So, we took up the carpet and then brought the tree up.

In case you don't remember or haven't seen a picture, this is the formal living room as it was when we moved in.



Justin started the project pretty early on Saturday as I was mudding in Garytt's new room. Then I came downstairs to help with the carpet removal. Yeah, there are about a million staples holding down the carpet pad all throughout the room. So, it was definitely a longer process than I expected...and a little difficult on my 30 week pregnant self. But we managed to get it done. (Garytt was awesome! He mostly played and read books in the family room, which we could monitor from the living room, while we worked.)


Pulling staples after carpet removal



A close up on the carpet...you can see why we are removing it



Pulling up the carpet strips and staples around the radiator proved to be a challenge



Almost done!



No more carpet and the french doors actually work now!



Carpet is gone!


After that, it was time to break out the Christmas decorations. Justin helped me put the tree up but once it came time to fluff and decorate the tree, he decided he needed a break. Apparently "fluffing" is just too much for him.


Preparing the tree


I got the tree decorated and the stockings hung...at least Santa will know what to do! Whew...I was worried. (You can also see that we still have to remove the odd wallpaper on the arched wall...a project for another time.)



After a break and putting Garytt to bed, I was also able to put up our second tree. I really wanted to get a new tree this year for our family room but we decided that we would wait until after Christmas. So, I consider this our Charlie Brown tree. It is just a little small and homely. I have had it since college and it is really time to replace it. But it will have to last one more season. This is our country/western/Aggie tree.



I didn't have the energy to do any more decorating at that point. I was tired!

Then we spent half of Sunday doing pretty much the same thing. We removed the carpet from our dining room. Although this room is slightly smaller than the living room, the task was actually worse because the floor underneath was quite dirty (yeah, don't think about it too much because it will just gross you out. I know it grossed me out!)


Starting the process



A little bit farther


None of the wood floors that we have uncovered in the house have been perfect. We will definitely have to refinish them at some point. Unfortunately, this room seemed to be the worst. It looks like there was a lot of wear and tear in here. Also, our family room is an addition to the original house, so there were some changed in the floor over the years, including moving the radiator.


Where the original floor meets the family room threshold



Apparently the old location of the radiator prior to the addition (as seen by the two round holes they stuffed square pieces of wood into)...not sure what we are going to do with this



Part of the floor uncovered...lots of rough spots


Another thing we discovered is that the kitchen floor has apparently old tile and two layers of linoleum on top of the original hardwood floors. That makes the threshold from the kitchen to the dining room significantly different. So, as a temporary fix, we put some towels down to protect Garytt from hurting himself as he runs through the house like a mad man...ghetto, I know.



Although the floors aren't in great condition, we still feel that the overall look is much better without the carpet. And, after seeing how much dirt the carpet was holding, we also feel that it is much cleaner in our house now!





Well, we still have carpet in Garytt's new room that I am using as a dropcloth and some on the stairs and the upstairs hallway. But slowly we are becoming a carpet free house. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against carpet...just carpet that is too old and too ugly.

I am thankful that Garytt was such a good sport this weekend! He did receive a few new books in the mail from Mimi that he enjoyed reading while we were working.






Yes, the book is upside down


I have to say that I long for the days when as Christmas appraoches I can say that I am busy because I have to put up the tree or wrap presents or I have too much hoilday baking to do instead of all those things plus home rennovations!

The highlight of this year is that Garytt is understanding and taking in so much more! So, despite all the work around the house, he keeps me grounded and reminds me to keep joy in the season!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wood floors look so much better! I am amazed you undertook this at 30 weeks pregnant. Yowza!

Debbi said...

Oh no. . . you needed the Feist Family boys!! When we took out the house full of 40 year old carpet. . . they had those tack strips and staples out in no time! Jennifer. . . take it easy!!! We want this baby to wait until after the holidays!!