12.21.2011

2011 Oshkosh Celebration of Lights

We heard about the Oshkosh Celebration of Lights several weeks ago. It is a drive through light display at Menominee Park, just minutes from our house. They also have Santa set up in one of the park shelters for the kids to visit. I was excited to go see what it was all about.

As frugal as I am, we decided to wait until one of the free community nights to go over there. Our original plan was to go last Tuesday night but Garytt really needed a haircut and I couldn't get an appointment until the following Wednesday morning. So, we decided to wait until this week.

Well, perfection is just not something that is going to work with me this year it seems. Garytt woke up yesterday morning with a "clogged pore" on his cheek...yes, who would have guessed that he would have a pimple on his cheek at all much less the day we are going to try to see Santa again...sigh.

We decided to go over and check out the lights and Santa anyway...knowing the pictures wouldn't be great. He are a few pictures of the light displays.









We found Santa's workshop and parked. They actually have a really neat setup. They have a few reindeer outside. Santa's sleigh was parked right outside the shelter as well. We tried to get a quick picture inside the sleigh, but Garytt doesn't look too thrilled about that either...and it's a close-up shot, so you don't really get the effect of the sleigh, but it was really neat.







After waiting outside for a few minutes, we were let inside the shelter. They had a display of snowflakes and some pretty Christmas trees to look at while you waited inside.



I guess I didn't realize how small the shelter was inside because I didn't see the Santa behind the trees. We got up to the front of the line with the Elf and she took Garytt's name down and then we turned the corner and there was Santa. So, I think we didn't get to prepare Garytt enough and he was in no way going to sit on Santa's lap. He instead clung to Justin for dear life!





Maybe next year we will have better luck with the Santa picture! This year it is obvious that Santa is just too scary.

No comments: