10.21.2013

Pumpkin Carving

This past Saturday we carved our pumpkins for Halloween. The boys were really excited about it.

First, I opened each pumpkin.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Then the boys used spoons to scoop out the pumpkin seeds. Neither of them were too excited about the "gooey" stuff.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Since they were only getting an average of one pumpkin seed out per scoop, Justin and I had to step in to help the process along.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

After a little guidance, the boys were very focused on their work.


After the pumpkins were cleaned out, it was time to carve them. Of course, since that includes using sharp knives, the boys aren't able to be hands on during this part. However, I did have Garytt describe what kind of face he wanted on the pumpkin. So, he told me he wanted square eyes, a triangle nose and a mad mouth. You can see I'm drawing my idea of a mad mouth onto a napkin to see if that's what he wanted.
 
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

After I had it all carved out, Garytt wanted to use the pumpkin face as a puzzle.
 
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Next, Garytt and Justin worked on drawing a face on the second pumpkin. Then, I was in charge of carving it out. Garytt monitored my progress.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

All done!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The boys seemed to enjoy the pumpkin carving. However, once we threw away the pieces to the "puzzle," Garytt had a complete meltdown. Apparently, that was the coolest puzzle ever. He eventually got over it and now they check on their pumpkins every chance they get.

No comments: