Justin and I both thought that Westyn sounded a little wheezy that morning, so I took him to the doctor's office. They listened to him and told me his lungs sounded clear, so probably just a virus that he would have to get over. So, we went about our normal Thursday schedule.
That evening the boys even Skyped with Justin.
The next day, Justin went to his meeting and enjoyed some sights in D.C.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...things were a little different.
Overnight, Westyn really started wheezing badly and his breathing was very labored. I was able to get an early morning appointment. The nurse checked his vitals and hurried us back to a room. I could tell they were concerned because in no time, the doctor came in just long enough to listen to him so they could start his breathing treatment. Westyn was clearly in respiratory distress as he was taking a breath about once a second.
That breathing treatment didn't have much of an impact. So, they tried a slightly different breathing treatment. That also didn't relieve his symptoms. So, they sent us down to get an x-ray. Radiology indicated no pneumonia present. However, they couldn't get airways to open up. So, the doctor recommended 24 hour observation with a diagnosis of bronchiolitis and acute wheezing. So, after two hours in the clinic, the boys and I headed to Women's and Children's Hospital.
After checking in, it was finally time for some lunch!
Of course, we had a bunch of doctors and respiratory therapists in and out. But once things settled down, I put the movie Cars 2 on the TV, gave Garytt a blanket and rocked Westyn. It didn't take too long before both boys were able to get a little rest.
We had a special surpise visit from some soldiers that afternoon as well. They brought some gifts for the kids on the peds ward. Westyn received a stuff lion and a new book. Then one of the soldiers asked if big brother could have some toys too. So, Garytt scored four Hot Wheels. Both boys were really excited! And, as a bonus, one of the soliders was an Aggie! Whoop! (Unfortunately, I have no pictures because all the previous pictures were taken on my nearly dead phone and I didn't have another camera with me. Bummer!) But we definitely appreciated the visit and are thankful for their service!
Anyhow, my mom was awesome and dropped everything and drove to Columbia to stay with Garytt for the night. She arrived just before dinner. So, I ran home to get a few things (like my cell phone charger) and brought some dinner back. Then Grandma and Garytt headed home for the night.
I have to take a moment and just say how proud I am that both boys were such troopers all day! Neither of them had a major toddler melt down despite being pushed past their limits!
It was a long night for Westyn and I...you don't get too much rest with all the nurses checking vitals. But, the good news is that his oxygen levels stayed up all night, despite the continued wheezing.
Garytt and Grandma arrived back at the hospital the next morning after their "special breakfast," which included chocolate donuts with chocolate icing and M&Ms on top and chocolate milk...can you tell Garytt loves chocolate?
We were told that since Wesytn's oxygens levels stayed stable all night we would probably be released, but we had to wait for the doctors to round. Entertaining the boys was a bit more of a challenge this day.
Grandma read to Westyn while Garytt played with his new cars.
Garytt and Westyn shared a chair while watching another movie.
I will say keeping Westyn attached to his monitors was a bit challenging...he learned to plug it back in himself.
Finally, the doctors came in and said we would be discharged. However, they said it would be a while before the paperwork was ready. So, we disconnected our leads and let Westyn take a walk. He found a magnetic board to play with.
After lunch, we were finally able to go home! Westyn was still struggling with wheezing but seemed slightly better.
It took another 3-4 days for his wheezing to finally subside. Needless to say this was not the way I planned to spend my weekend and it wasn't very convenient for Justin to be out of town but I'm thankful that everything turned out ok!
No comments:
Post a Comment