9.24.2018

Farewell to Grandpa W.D.

March was a difficult month. We found out that Justin's Grandpa W.D. had fallen at some point and had a brain bleed. The doctors did surgery and initially they thought the prognosis was good. When you are in your 80's though, all surgeries are touch and go.

Justin took some time off and flew down to be with W.D. for a while. He was able to spend some time alone with W.D. towards the end and was there for the transfer to hospice care. Justin had barely gotten back home to Nebraska when we got the call that W.D. had passed on March 14, 2018. I was so glad Justin had gotten to spend some time with W.D. at the end and I will always have great memories of W.D.

I instantly liked W.D., even though, as anyone would tell you he was a gruff no nonsense man. Amazingly, despite his age, he came to see every single state we lived in - Kansas, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Nebraska! We made some great memories with him and the boys during these visits.

(I think W.D. liked me, too.  Being a man of few words, I had to read between the lines.  I remember when I drove W.D. and Justin to the EAA convention in Oshkosh to drop them off.  He said, "Boy, I don't know too many ladies that know how to drive a stick shift.")


The funeral for W.D. was on March 24, 2018. So, we planned to head to Texas right after Garytt's First Reconciliation. The viewing was held at the funeral home on March 23. The boys were able to see some of the Texas cousins that we don't see very often.


We were there quite a while so the boys also busied themselves with reading.


And playing thumb wars.


The following day was the funeral and the boys were asked to help hand out the memorial cards.


Both Shira and Justin spoke at the funeral and did a nice job. Justin's speech had a nice mix of humor and sentimental moments.


After the funeral there was a luncheon. During the luncheon, Aunt Shira gave each of the boys a wooden propeller with W.D.'s information.


We took the opportunity at the luncheon to take some pictures with Mimi and us as a family while everyone was dressed up.


Of course, the boys like at least one silly shot.


After the luncheon, it was time to head to the cemetery. "Little W.D." helped.


Since W.D. was a charter member of the EAA chapter in Waco, several of the EAA members did a fly over in their home built planes as a tribute. It was a special send-off.


After this service, there was a little time to chat. The boys realized just how hot it is in Texas, even in March. Westyn's eyes just couldn't handle the sun so he borrow my sunglasses.


And Garytt was so hot, we had to convince him not to start undressing until after the service. First, the jacket came off, then the shirt was rolled up, and then the pants...really, it was quite a look.


The next thing we knew, Garytt had gotten out the lunchbox cooler from our ice chest to put on his head. This kid was really not handling the heat!


We had to say good-bye from the cemetery as we had to start our drive back north. Westyn and Clinton said good-bye.


And I was able to get a quick picture of Aunt Shira, Cousin Auggie, and the boys.


Funerals are always sad. And this was no exception. W.D. is greatly missed. I am happy for the memories we made and that these boys got to know their Great Grandpa W.D.


Until we meet again...

(Special thanks to Donna Bird for some of the pictures included here.)

No comments: