10.17.2016

Exploring the Gaylord Texan

The next day, Dec 28, we took the time to explore the Gaylord Texan and the beautiful Christmas decorations with Mimi.


Pretty soon it was our time to go meet up with Shira, Kirk and Auggie over at the Ice! exhibit.


Ice! is an exhibit full of giant ice sculptures. The theme changes every year. This year the theme was Christmas Around the World! They give you full length jackets as you enter the exhibit but I highly recommend gloves and hat too! Thankfully we had those for the boys.

We started off with a group picture...before everyone was too cold.


Off we went to go see all the fun ice sculptures.


After you passed through the first room, they have an ice slide.


Of course the boys wanted to try that out! So, Justin took the boys up so I could take some pictures.


Garytt really like the ice slide. But I think Westyn was starting to get a little too cold at that point. Mimi was sweet to try to wrap him up more!


Garytt wanted to go again, so I got to go with him the next time.


As the rest of the group had kind of moved on, I took a few more pictures with Garytt as we explored on our way out.


They even had a demonstration of how they carve the ice. The showed how a stuffed animal or toy might be inspiration.


They even had a live ice artist working when we walked through. I would have watching him longer, but Garytt was getting pretty cold. But it was truly fascinating to watch.


In one of the last halls, they had the walls lined with ice dolls from around the world.


The very last room was just beautiful, the pictures don't do it justice. It was a nativity scene made out of ice.


When Garytt and I finally made it out of the exhibit, we caught up with the rest of the group. Westyn looked much happier hanging out with Kirk and having warmed up!


It was definitely time for a lunch break! We found a sports bar and grill in the hotel. Westyn was still enjoying his view point from up on Kirk's shoulders.


As we waited for our food, we saw a very tall toy soldier. So, we went out to meet him.


We went to sit back down. As the crowd of people wanting pictures with the soldier died down, he went walking by our table. He stopped to give Westyn a hand shake.


Pretty soon our lunch arrived. Garytt had a fluffernutter sandwich...all the gooey goodness.

No comments: