4.07.2014

Westyn Moves Into A Toddler Bed

A few days before we left for our Chicago trip, I heard Westyn yelling for me after he woke up from nap. When I went into his room I saw this.

20140305_155736.jpg

He had finally managed to climb out of his bed...well, only half-way...he was actually stuck there. I helped him down and we went for the next few days without a repeat. Then, we left for our trip and he slept fine in his pack-and-play. A few days after we returned from Chicago, he had absolutely mastered getting all the way out of bed.  In fact, early one morning, I woke to the sound of a kid wandering into our room...and nearly had a heart attack when it was Westyn, as I was expecting to see Garytt.

Despite being quite agile about getting out of his bed, he decided it was "really scary" to do but continued to do it so as not to be confined. On Saturday, March 15, Westyn completely refused to stay in his crib...he climbed out and said the crib was scary and had a complete breakdown. I tried to find the conversion rail for the crib but couldn't remember where we stored it. So, in an effort to get him to sleep, we just pulled the mattress out and had him sleep on the floor, which he was actually quite content with. I took a picture after he had fallen asleep.

20140316_074045.jpg

And this was how we found him the next morning...not quite ready to be awake it seems.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I couldn't stand to have him sleep on the floor like that, so I searched for the conversion kit the next day. I did manage to locate it and transform his crib into a toddler bed.

20140316_124450.jpg 20140316_124500.jpg

He couldn't wait to take a nap in his "big boy bed."

20140316_124745.jpg 20140316_125820.jpg

We ended up having to place some pillows beside his bed for a few days while he learned not to fall out of bed. But we had to remove them because he was falling out of bed and going back to sleep on the pillows on the floor.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

He's pretty much figured out how to keep from falling out of his bed now. but he is definitely a wanderer. So, we actually have to lock his door at night as we are afraid he will wander in the middle of the night and end up tripping down the stairs in the dark or getting into something while everyone else is asleep.

I have to say this transition wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. And, frankly, I'm surprised we didn't reach this point sooner. Westyn's getting to be such a big boy!

No comments: