However, after one of my MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers) meetings where they showed us a ton of cute and inexpensive decorating and gifts ideas that they found on Pinterest, I decided to join. Yeah, it's addictive!! The first few weeks I was on, I found myself pinning for hours at a time...I now have my addiction mostly under control...baby steps.
Anyhow, I was actually inspired to make photo tiles for Christmas with Garytt's picture on them. So, off I went to Menards for the tiles and off to Hobby Lobby for some Mod Podge. The project really wasn't too hard but there was a little bit of a learning curve about getting the bubbles out of the scrapbook paper that was used for borders around the photos. So, I got better at is as I did more of them...but all of them say "handmade" (meaning there is some sort of error-some obvious and some subtle). Overall, the results were good and everyone really liked them (or at least that is what they told me...ha).
When it came time to send out a few Valentine's, where else would I turn but Pinterest for some inspiration? And Pinterst did not let me down! I found a pin on a friend's board that showed a virtual hug that was made as a Mother's Day project. I decided I would use that idea for Valentine's Day because it was so cute!
So, we set up the paint and some white paper. I was pretty nervous about Garytt getting paint everywhere (although it was children's washable paint but still...). Shockingly, he really didn't like the texture of the paint on his hands, so he was ready to be done with the project pretty quickly. It didn't turn out to be much of a mess or a struggle to get his handprints...score!
Then it was time to get Westyn's handprints. We didn't get any pictures of this process because it took two of us to work with Westyn. In fact, we actually couldn't get good handprints from Westyn because he kept his hands curled up too much. So, we decided to go with a plan b...we used his feet instead.
After the paint dried, it was time for me to cut and assemble the Valentine's. I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with the footprints because the whole idea was to have two hands with a string the same width as their actual hands so that it would simulate a hug. So, I decided I would just cut out hearts and attach Westyn's footprints to those as a Valentine. It wasn't as cute as the hug from Garytt, but it worked.
I think the final Valentine's turned out pretty cute but it did take a lot longer than I expected to cut and assemble them all. So, I think the next time I tackle a project like that, I need to leave myself more time or wait until Garytt is old enough to help...haha.
I guess it is time to get inspired to do another Pinterest project soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment